CBC Manitoba’s Future 40 Awards (“Contest”)
From Tuesday, October 10, 2017 at 12:00 a.m. CT to Monday, October 23, 2017 at 11:59 pm CT (“Contest Period”)
Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (“CBC”)
1. HOW TO ENTER
No purchase required. To enter the Contest, visit www.cbc.ca/mbfuture40 (“Website”), submit the nomination of an individual for consideration as a Future 40 Manitoba nominee, include a 250 word essay and accompanying photo (horizontal/landscape, jpg) of the person you want to nominate (“Your Content”) and fill out the entry form completely during the Contest Period and “click” to accept the Contest Rules. Nominees and or nominators are required to answer questions as part of the application process.
For more clarity, the term “contestant”, where applicable, means nominee.
The Future 40 nominee must be 40 years of age or under during the Contest Period. The nominator must be given permission to submit a nomination and headshot on their behalf.
A nominee must not be currently taking part in a campaign or serving a term in office as an elected government official.
If the nominee is a minor (under the age of 18), consent must be obtained from a parent or guardian prior to submitting your nomination.
Limit of one submission per nominee. More than one nominator is permitted to submit multiple nominees to be considered for Future 40 awards. If a nominee attempt or is suspected of attempting to enter more than once, or use robotic, automatic, programmed or any other methods of participation not authorized by these Rules, it shall be deemed as tampering and will void the entries, votes or other results of such participation.
To be valid, entries must be received by 11:59 p.m. CT on Monday, October 23, 2017. No submissions will be accepted after the deadline for any reason. Any entries received after the deadline will be void.
You represent and warrant to CBC that you hold all of the required rights and authorizations to Your Content. You have consent from any people appearing in Your Content (including parental consent for minors) and all authorizations required to grant the license specified hereafter to CBC.
The following kind of Your Content is prohibited:
a. Pornography, vulgarity, obscenity or sexually explicit content
b. Anything illegal
c. Hate speech
d. Threats, harassment
e. Personal attacks, insults and defamatory statements
f. Threats or suggesting committing a criminal act
g. Attempts to mobilise people for any purpose outside of a CBC event
Any content deemed by CBC to be inappropriate or not suitable for its audience will be disqualified at the sole discretion of CBC.
Your Content will become the property of CBC and will not be returned to you.
By submitting Your Content, you grant CBC and Sponsor/Prize Provider a royalty-free, perpetual, non-exclusive, irrevocable, unrestricted, worldwide license to publish, reproduce and distribute Your Content in all media, on all digital platforms and by any other means of communication they control or authorize in connection with this Contest. You waive all moral rights to Your Content and authorize CBC and Sponsor/Prize Provider to use your name, image and voice, where applicable, in conjunction with the use of Your Content. Collective agreement provisions may apply. The list of winner(s) and winning entry/ies may be posted on the CBC and Sponsor/Prize Provider websites for an indefinite period after the close of the Contest.
The Contest is open to all Manitoba residents that are 40 years of age or under at the Contest opening date. For any contestant who has not reached the age of majority in their province (a “minor”), parent or guardian consent is necessary to enter the Contest. Where appropriate, the terms “contestant” and “winner” and “finalist” mean parent or guardian of the minor.
Employees of CBC as well as such employees’ immediate family (father/mother, brother/sister, son/daughter) or persons living under the same roof are not eligible to be nominated or nominate individuals & groups for the Contest.
A nominee must not be currently taking part in a campaign or serving a term in office as an elected government official.
3. PROCEDURE FOR AWARDING PRIZES
After the Contest closing date, an internal judging panel (“Judging Panel”) as indicated below will review all eligible entries received during the Contest Period and select 40 nominees to become finalists subject to meeting all the conditions described in these Rules. Finalist selections will be made based on the criteria outlined below:
• Professional contributions
• Outstanding service contributions to the community
• Effort and initiatives taken for better health and success Manitoba
• Making a difference in the community
The Judging Panel will comprise CBC Manitoba editorial staff.
In the event that a high number of entries (in the amount over 500) are received, CBC will determine in its sole discretion 100 entries to be presented as a representative sample to the Judging Panel for their final deliberation.
The forty CBC Manitoba Future 40 finalists will be contacted by email on Wednesday, October 25 before 5:00 pm CT using the telephone number, email or postal mail address provided in the entry form and should claim their prize as instructed by CBC by Friday, October 27 before 5:00 pm. If a winner cannot be reached by Friday, October 27 before 5 pm, following the first attempt of contact, incorrectly answers the mathematical skill-testing question (where applicable), declines the prize, or is otherwise found to be ineligible, the prize shall be forfeited and CBC has the right, at its sole discretion, to select another winner on Monday October 30, 2017. The notification to the forty, CBC Manitoba’s Future 40 finalists is embargoed and finalists as well as their nominators are prohibited from sharing any details of their winning prior to CBC Manitoba’s publication on the confirmed release dates below. Each finalist will be advised of their publication release date. To confirm, finalists must contact CBC as instructed in their confirmation email no later than 24 hours after the date they were initially contacted.
Ten CBC Manitoba Future 40 finalists will be announced on CBC Manitoba broadcasting platforms each weekday for a total of 4 weekdays according to the following schedule.
• Finalists 1 - 10 announced on October 30, 2017 at 6:00 a.m. CT
• Finalists 11 – 20 announced on October 31, 2017 at 6:00 a.m. CT
• Finalists 21 – 30 announced on November 1, 2017 at 6:00 a.m. CT
• Finalists 31 – 40 announced on November 2, 2017 at 6:00 a.m. CT
Additionally, CBC Manitoba Future 40 finalists may be mentioned (not necessarily in their entirety) on CBC Radio One’s Information Radio (6:00 a.m. CT to 8:30 a.m. CT) and CBC Winnipeg News (6:00 p.m.) on the same date or after the website release.
*CBC reporters may contact finalists for profile stories, but winners should not rely on that possibility as the only means to find out they have won a CBC Manitoba Future 40 award.
4. DESCRIPTION OF PRIZES
The CBC Manitoba Future 40 finalists will receive the following recognition:
• Potential exposure for finalist and finalist’s, business or community group on CBC Radio One, and/or CBC Winnipeg News at 6pm, and/or cbc.ca/manitoba
• Exclusive invitation for finalists and a guest to attend a private CBC Manitoba Future 40 networking event on Thursday, November 2 2017 from 5:30 pm to 8:30 pm. Location to be determined. (The approximate retail value is $60.00)
• A CBC Manitoba Future 40 engraved award. (The approximate retail value of $35.00)
• Exposure for the finalists, the finalist’s business, and/or community group on the Website for a period of 1 year.
• Exclusive rights to promote the finalists, the finalists business and/or community group as a CBC Manitoba Future 40 winner in any publicity or promotional materials.
• A digital CBC Manitoba Future 40 logo which may be used in the finalists’ email signatures and/or on their website. Logo is dated and may be used in subsequent years.
The total approximate retail value of the prizes is $3,000.00.
5. GENERAL RULES
5.1. By entering the Contest, you:
5.2.1 declare you have read, agree to and have complied with the Contest Rules;
5.2.2 declare you meet all criteria to enter the Contest and to accept and participate in the prize (if awarded);
5.2.3 agree that subject to the accuracy of the response to the mathematical skill-testing question, if you are the winner of a prize, you agree to accept the prize as provided by CBC;
5.2.4 you consent and agree that your name, city/province of residence, image, statements and/or voice and Your Content may be used for promotional and other purposes related to this Contest free of charge by CBC;
5.2.5 you, your heirs, your successors and your assigns, release CBC as well as their respective directors, officers, affiliates, volunteers and employees (the “Contest Parties”) from all liability for any damage or loss arising from your participation in this Contest, the use of Your Content, and from the awarding, acceptance or use of the prize (if awarded).
Anyone accompanying the winner in connection with the prize shall sign a release agreeing that their name, image and/or voice may be used for advertising purposes related to this Contest free of charge, and releasing the Contest Parties from all liability for any damage or loss arising from use of the prize.
6. The prize shall be accepted as is and may not be exchanged or refunded for an amount of money, sold or transferred. No substitutions will be allowed. Any portion of a prize not used for any reason will be forfeited.
7. If the prize cannot be awarded as described in these Rules, CBC reserves the right to substitute a prize or prize component with another of comparable value, as determined in its sole discretion.
8. Refusal to accept the prize or a portion of the prize releases the Contest Parties from any obligation toward the winner with respect to that prize/portion of the prize.
9. If a contestant makes any false statement, (s)he will be automatically disqualified from the Contest.
10. You may be required to provide proof of your name/identity/age as requested by CBC in its sole discretion. If you fail to provide adequate proof you will be automatically disqualified from the Contest.
11. For the award of a prize by voting method, CBC reserves the right to cancel any vote deemed unlawful or illegitimate and to make adjustments accordingly in calculating the number of votes received by the participant.
12. The Contest Parties assume no liability for any loss, damage or injury, including without limitation: (i) lost, stolen, delayed, damaged, misdirected, late, destroyed, illegible or incomplete entries; (ii) loss, theft or damage to software or computer or telephone data, including any breach of privacy; (iii) fraudulent calls; (iv) inability of any person to participate in the Contest for any reason including but not limited to: mistaken addresses on mail or e-mail; technical, computer or telephone malfunctions or other problems with computer on-line systems, servers, access providers, computer equipment, or software; lost, late, incomplete, illegible, incomprehensible or misdirected entries; bugs, failures in services, hardware or software transmission failure or loss, delayed or corrupted data transmission; congestion on the internet or at any website, or any combination of the foregoing; (v) damage to any person’s computer, including as a result of playing or downloading any material relating to the Contest; (vi) any delay or inability to act resulting from an event or situation beyond their control, including a strike, lockout or other labour dispute at their location or the locations of the organizations and businesses whose services are used to administer this Contest; (vii) prizes that are lost, damaged or misdirected during shipping; (viii) loss, damage, defects, or inability to use the prize once awarded to the winner for any reason whatsoever.
13. CBC and their respective parents, subsidiaries, affiliates, directors, officers, consultants, agents, volunteers and employees shall not be responsible for any damages, compensatory, direct, incidental, consequential or otherwise, with respect to or in any way arising from damages to participants occasioned by participating in the Contest or downloading any information associated with the Contest.
14. You agree that in the use of this Contest, including but not limited to chat areas, and the registration and use of social media accounts, usernames or groupnames, you will not use obscene, libelous or slanderous language, or language which infringes upon a third party’s trademark, trade name or other intellectual property right or right to privacy.
15. Contestants found tampering with or abusing any aspect of this Contest, including but not limited to acting in violation of these Rules, attempting to participate in the Contest more than the maximum number of times allowed, to be acting with the intent to disrupt the normal operation of this Contest, as determined by CBC, will be disqualified. The discovery of any use of robotic, automatic, macro, programmed, third party or like methods to participate in the Contest will void any attempted participation effected by such methods and the disqualification of the contestant utilizing the same in CBC's sole and absolute discretion.
17. CBC reserves the right to cancel or suspend this Contest should a virus, bug or other cause beyond their reasonable control corrupt the security or proper administration of the Contest. Any attempt to deliberately damage any website or to undermine the legitimate operation of this Contest is a violation of criminal and civil laws. Should such an attempt be made, CBC reserves the right to seek remedies and damages to the fullest extent permitted by law, including criminal prosecution.
19. If the identity of a contestant is disputed, the authorized account holder of the e-mail address submitted at the time of entry will be deemed to be the contestant. The individual assigned to the e-mail address for the domain associated with the submitted e-mail address is considered the authorized account holder. A selected contestant may be required to provide proof that (s)he is the authorized account holder of the e-mail address associated with the selected entry. All entries must be submitted from a valid e-mail account that may be identified by reverse domain name search. The sole determinant of time for the purposes of receipt of a valid entry in this Contest will be the Contest server.
20. Odds of winning depend on the number of eligible entries. All entries that are incomplete, illegible, damaged, irregular, have been submitted through illicit means, using any robotic, automatic programmed method that artificially increases the odds of winning or do not conform to or satisfy any condition of the rules may be disqualified by the CBC. CBC is not responsible for any errors or omissions in printing or advertising this Contest.
21. CBC reserves the right to amend the Contest rules or to terminate the Contest at any time without any liability to any contestant. Any amendments to these Contest rules will be posted on the Website
22. The Contest shall be deemed to be entered into pursuant to, and your agreement to enter and abide by the rules of the Contest shall be construed, performed and enforced in accordance with, the laws of the Province of Ontario and the federal laws of Canada applicable therein. By your submission of the registration form you agree to attorn to the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of Ontario.
23. Contest Rules are available on the Website, www.cbc.ca/mbfuture40.
If you have any accessibility requirements or special needs, please contact the contest coordinator, as noted below.
REV: October 5, 2017
Regional Manager, Communications, Marketing and Brand
CANADIAN BROADCASTING CORPORATION